Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Night The Music Died

"Softly, deftly music shall caress you...
Hear it, feel it secretly possess you... "
Music of the Night/Phantom of the Opera). Ahhh, yes.

I first heard Luciano Pavarotti at the San Francisco Opera in November of 1977. Singing the role of The Unknown Prince in Turendot. He was at his prime and I was enchanted.

The greats of my generation are taking their leave now. Beverly Sills recently, now Pavarotti. My heart aches.

It brought to mind this morning, a beautiful one, as I strolled with large dog, what a beautiful world it would be if we poured the kazillions that are spent on political campaigns into the arts. Imagine!

I cannot sing. My voice is nasal and my dogs have always covered their ears with their paws whenever I've attempted a warble. But I can appreciate. And treasure the ability to listen. I have an autographed copy of "Bubbles" which I consider one of my most prized possessions.

All, however, is not lost. Every once in awhile someone who can sing comes along. Someone who idolized a Pavarotti and copied his every nuance in teaching himself. Paul Potts comes to mind. The young man who was "discovered" on Britain's Got Talent.

Rest in peace Luciano. You've done wondrous work while here. It's now time for the new generation to fill the void..."Open up your mind let your fantasies unwind..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was a marvelous man! He was not a music snob either.....He said there was all kinds of good music from pop to country to classical....I saw Paul Potts performance on a clip and I was moved to tears......I have his new CD.......what a talent....

Anonymous said...

Hi Mari...(arf arf)...I'm no opera buff, although when any musician dies, I think of it as a tragedy. Pavarotti was a cool guy. I know how ya feel about his passing, tho. I cried the day George Harrison died, after all. Only two Beatles left. Help!

Anonymous said...

The Maestro would have loved being called a "cool guy". I was privileged to hear him many times and I have a large collection of his recordings. For some reason, I always got a chuckle from "the handkerchief". Loving to eat, at one time his girth got the better of him and until some of it disappeared, he would perform from behind the piano. The three tenors truly brought opera to the masses. It is a treasure that, through his recordings, he will live on in the way he would have chosen.