Saturday, September 27, 2008

Debate #1 - My Take

I can't believe I watched the whole thing! But I did. Before the kazilion instant analyses could influence out thinking, Hub and I decided it was pretty much a draw. What it did show was the huge difference in style. Thought versus bluster? Respectful disagreement versus patronizing condescension?

I do have a few thoughts and observations. One, I'd like to know what prescription protocol McCain is on to keep him going. This is a man who, during the primaries, had one event a day and didn't do week ends. The Presidency is a 24/7 job. Bush, who is years younger, retires, when he can around nine. What's McCains retirement time? I'm of an age in between them and I know my stamina level is sub prime after a long day. One long day.

Two, it's no wonder he hasn't made much of a mark as a senator other than being dubbed a maverick, he's never there. He's always travelling the world.

Three, he brought up the maverick point often. Do we really need another one leading the country? The difference between McCain and Bush in this area is that Bush has a whole faction, led by Dick Cheney, behind the scenes pulling the strings. With McCain I fear it would be just him going off where ever he feels like. At least the neo cons have a theory. Does McCain?

Finally, it wrapped back around to his choice of Sarah Palin for Vice President. With what I consider a patronizing grin, McCain time and again pounced on Obama's naivete, lack of judgement and not having been to all these world hot spots. My own opinion on that aside, along with the fact it is Obama running for President and Palin is not, if these preceived failures he finds in Obama are so important, the reason he should be President, how can he justify Sarah Palin as his second?

I'm not sure she's even been to Hawaii. How many of the lower forty eight has she visited before being selected. Heck, can she even name the Sates and their capitals?

The deer in the headlight, verbose without substance woman will be the one standing in the wings. Senator Biden has his own problems with foot in mouth but he at least was chosen to offset areas where Obama is weak. Other than gender and age, what does Sarah Palin bring to the ticket of an old man who's straight talk does not include his health records, what's more his vision for the country.

He stated so often that "I know how to do it" I lost count. If so why has he not been leading the way and getting it done?

Because he's a maverick. People don't trust mavericks. Why? You never know where they stand. Just what we need.

5 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

I agree. I did not think the debate was a draw. McCain showed his true colors again and again as he patronized Obama, who at least showed respect for his elders and had his facts straight.

If McCain had so much experience, why hasn't he been using it? His experience includes an experience with the fall of the S & L's in the 80's as he worked with the Keating Five, who later went to jail while McCain just received a reprimand.

Sylvia K said...

Yep, I did get an early start! And I totally agree with both of you. All I can do -- any of us, is try to get out the word, urge people to look at and think about what they are doing come November.

Betty said...

I swear, I think we must have been siamese twins, separated at birth. Our blogs always read like we're copying from each other.lol

As to Sarah Palin's experience outside of Alaska, I just happen to have some info on that. She attended Hawaii Pacific U. for one semester, then transfered to N. Idaho College, which is a 2 year college. She spent 2 semesters there, then spent another 2 semesters at U of Idaho. Then, she transferred to Matanuska-Susitna College in Alaska for one semester. And, back to U of Idaho for 3 semesters, finally graduating with a degree in Sports Journalism. At one point, she enrolled in the U of Hawaii at Hilo, but didn't attend. One wonders what her problem was - simple indecisiveness? Shudder.

Mari Meehan said...

Sports journalism??? (Shudder back at you!) Anyone out there know what sort of grades she made? Betty, North Idaho College is right here in Coeur d'Alene and it is a bastion of conservatism as befits its location but is the antithesis of most institutions of higher education. (Another shudder). Not that that is all bad - they should provide a mix of views though seldom do. Her type of conservatism thrives here - guess this is where she got her indoctrination! Don't even ask why we're still here. Just look at the housing market. Okay. Enough.

Anonymous said...

I thought John McCain could have earn buckets of points last night if he had said, "You know what? I made a mistake. I thought deregulation was the way to free enterprise, but now I know some regulation is not only helpful, but necessary. I've learned a valuable lesson, etc."

I guess our politicians can never admit to ever making mistakes because it then gets used against them.

I wish it weren't so.