Thursday, September 25, 2008

McCain - Savvy Or Scared?

Some of us are old enough to remember back in 1981 when Ronald Reagan was shot and Al Haig, his chief of staff, was running around in little tight circles exclaiming, "As of now, I am in control here in the White House."

That's what I'm reminded of as I watch John McCain's posturing. Stop the campaign! Cancel the debate! I'm going to Washington to make sure the bailout is done right! Pretty good for someone who admits he doesn't understand much about economics. When did he take his crash course?

Between Sarah Palin and her quivering non answers to Katy Couric's questions and McCain's "taking charge" antics, this December/May team is really beginning to frighten me. I can't help wondering if cancelling the debate is anything more than a ploy because McCain knows, even though it's to be on foreign policy, Obama will turn every answer into one with an economic edge.

Then what will McCain do when the economic debate comes around? It's another thing to turn each question on this subject into one on foreign policy.

As for Ms. Palin, I keep waiting for her say something other than rehearsed talking points. She is not as articulate nor as quick on her feet as I had expected and I often find myself wondering if in fact she understands the questions. As for her foreign policy experience, I'm not convinced meeting with two world leaders and exchanging chit chat gives her the bona fides the Republicans would have us believe.

I do know posturing doesn't get it done. I waiting to see if either of this team can do more. I'm also not holding my breath.

3 comments:

Betty said...

Call me cynical, but I truly believe that John McCain and John Boehmer have worked up some kind of scheme designed to allow McCain's debate to be moved to next Thursday, which will allow McCain to suggest canceling the V.P. debate altogether. I have never trusted John Boehmer as far as I could throw him. I just hope the Democrats don't cave in and let them get away with whatever smarmy little scheme has been devised.

Margie's Musings said...

Me either. Obama should go right ahead to Mississippi whether McCain shows or not. that would be Obama's opportunity to express all his views without any interference from McCain.

Sylvia K said...

I agree, Obama should go do what he does best and without interruption. I'm glad you're not holding your breath, my friend, I'd hate to lose you!