Thursday, September 04, 2008

My Political Quandary

Tonight, thank heavens, is the last night of the conventions. Hopefully McCain has practiced his speech to the point he can deliver it without putting me to sleep. It's important to hear what he has to say. After all, he is the nominee and he and his take on the issues are what need to be compared to Obama's. Not Sarah Palin's.

I'm going to be in a quandary now. As most of my readers know, I've been a Republican most of my adult life. I switched to Independent with somewhat Libertarian leanings when I became interested enough in politics to really pay attention.

So here is my quandary. There are a lot of Obama's programs and tax and spend philosophy I don't agree with. The poor house is already too close for this old lady. There is no way he can raise the monies necessary for his programs by taxing only the rich and closing corporate loopholes. What I do sense is genuine concern for us and sincerity about changing the way the government goes about it's business - which, of course, is ours.

On the Republican side, I have no idea what John McCain really believes about anything other than it seems to be his God given right to be President. The maverick in him scares me more than it represents change.

One thing to remember is that no matter who wins, he can do no more than Congress allows. Unless the Bush practice of signing statements, which in effect, allows the administration to ignor that which they have just signed into law, remain a common practice.

I would be happy if every incumbent in Congress was thrown out of office. Their performance is that dismal. Will the Alaskans sent Ted Stevens back to the Senate? Will Louisiana send William Jefferson back to the House? Both are under indictment and both are likely to be re-elected. I'm weary of the "throw all the bums out except ours" that keeps these people feeding from the public trough. Our trough.

So tonight is important. Will McCain give a speech of substance and delineate some actual policy or continue the sarcasm from last night? Time will tell. Obama, at least, still holds to his word to run a different kind of campaign.

No matter, however, it's time to pay close to the Congressional races too. The government tends to be totally dysfunctional when one party holds both the White House and the Congress. The question is who do we want where?

4 comments:

Betty said...

I'm going to watch his speech, too, although I really don't want to.

Margie's Musings said...

I too am a lifelong Republican but I would just as soon not tell anyone after the last eight years. I am scared to death of McCain and his temper and his senility. I will vote for Obama and hope he will remember his campaign promises.

Anonymous said...

I watched some of the ABC coverage of the lobbist's lavish parties that was thrown for both conventions. I think that is the root of the problem. The politicians are so deeply indebted to them that that's the people who are running the country. And the politicians are just interested in getting re-elected and richer.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's the morning after. What did you think of his speech?

It feels to me like McCain has simply lost his way. I might have voted for him in 2000 when he ran against Bush. I was so disgusted by the Rove-led attacks on McCain and his family.

Those attacks must have hurt him and his family deeply, so it felt awful seeing that picture of McCain and Bush hugging on the stage. I still cringe every time I see it. How could he do that? How could he hire those same people to now advise his campaign?

I am one of the many unaffiliated/independent voters in the country. I believe there is a place for government, more so now that I see how greed takes over when regulations are gutted. I want the government to use my money wisely, which will probably never happen in my lifetime.

Most of all, I dislike being misled and lied to and that is exactly what the Bush Administration has done these last 8 years. Unfortunately, it appears that McCain/Palin would continue doing so. Palin is already testing the waters by repeating known lies over and over again, hoping the media and public won't catch on. Their philosophy is just keep telling lies and eventually people will either stop caring or begin to believe it's the truth.

I don't know if Obama can do all he'd like. One person in the White House can't simply make it happen overnight. But I do know I don't want a repeat of the last 8 years and neither McCain nor Palin have shown me how it would be any different.