Friday, October 02, 2009

It's Not The Obamas, Per Se

Every once in awhile a reader will make an assumption that is so dead wrong I feel compelled to answer it. The last time it happened the reader left; I doubt my response was ever read. Such is the way with blogs. Readers come and go.

It has happened again and once more I feel compelled to answer. I want to make clear that this blog is comprised of observations and my thoughts concerning them. It has a political slant with a few deviations into my real life and that of my recently departed dog. On a personal basis, I have no axe to grind with anyone. Especially since I have never met most of them. On a political or professional basis, however, based on what I read and my point of view, I often have axes to grind.

That brings me to an extraction from a comment on yesterday's post:
I don't know what you have against the Obamas but it seems to be worsening.
I have nothing against the Obamas. I find them to be a pleasant, stylish young couple. Okay?

I have a great deal to say about how they are conducting themselves in the offices with which they've been entrusted. They could be anybody, if the actions were the same, I'd feel the same. They are the President and the First Lady of our country. How they are viewed by the world carries over to how we, as a country, are viewed.

I'm not going to take the time to research all the faux pas. Off the top of my head, however, there is the arm around the Queen of England. No matter how generous the Queen was in brushing it off, it was an extreme breach of protocol. Having President Sarkozy intervene to have a department store open on a Sunday so Michelle and the girls could shop. The bowing to the King of Saudi Arabia. Michelle's, "sacrifice" comment. These are but a few that have formed a pattern that shows one of two things or a combination of both; ignorance or arrogance. You choose.

I am not alone in the opinion that the President is still campaigning rather than governing. I am not alone in the opinion that Rahm Emanuel, in concert with Nancy Pelosi, is running the country; certainly defining, by default, domestic policy.

I am not alone in the opinion the President is trying to do too much too quickly and therefore little of it well. My political leanings put me at odds with the majority of his policies.

I am not alone in the opinion the change we are seeing is not what we had hoped for.

The only "stimulus" Obama inherited was, with the consent of his team, TARP. Everything else is his. Stimulus funds are slow in being allocated by design. The idea is to release the bulk of them just prior to the elections for obvious reasons. Meanwhile the country flounders for political expedience.

As for the Bush years? I wasn't happy with a lot of what he did either but then you'd have had to have been reading this blog since it's inception to know that. I felt the Iraq war was one of the most un-American actions ever undertaken. America does not wage wars of choice. I railed often about his propensity to shoot from the lip. How I wished he could articulate what was on his mind.

Okay. I'm weary of this now. If the above doesn't cover it, nothing will. The Obamas are nice people, okay? His policies are another thing. They will determine how I will live out the rest of my life. How they comport themselves in their capacity as President and First Lady has everything to do with how we are viewed by the world. Neither is off the table.

Bush is no longer President. What he might still be doing is moot. The same goes for McCain. Barack Obama is President of the United States of America. As he goes so goes the country. I'll give credit where credit is due. I'll criticise when I feel it is justified. The Presidency does not come with training wheels and campaigns end with a concession speech.

Agree with me or not. That is perfectly okay. But never, ever assume.

5 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks, Mari, for clearing up my assumptions. Perhaps I was wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong.

I am not altogether happy with all his policies either...as I said. I think we need to get out of other country's business and stop choosing war as the answer to every difference.

But he has been president less then a year and I still want to wait a year before beginning to write him off. I am quite sure, even with their mistakes in manners, they are trying to do a good job. I imagine he feels he has to do everything at once to prove that a black man can do a good job as president.

Margie's Musings said...

And, by the way, Mari, I'm not going anywhere. I am still reading your posts. Most are very informative and interesting.

Mari Meehan said...

Thanks Margie. I guess what I do is take everyone to task if they're being disingenuous with the American people. I find it offensive when we've invested so much in public figures and that's what we get in return.

In Obama's defense, though I didn't think he should have gone to Copenhagen, the big deal the Republicans are trying to make of it is what I've just mentioned - disingenuous.

Margie's Musings said...

I agree.

I could not see where he needed to get involved and as we have seen, Chicago did not get the games anyhow...much to my relief. We need to work on infrastructure with that money, if we're going to spend it, not such other nonsense.

Gail said...

Thank you. I am leary of voicing any political opinions, I keep my mouth shut which seems to be a national problem.

We are not heading in the direction the waves of great change were supposed to take us and it is very scary for several reasons.

I shall stop before I begin to rant.

Thank you for speaking up.