Sunday, January 10, 2010

One Last Desparate Grasp For Glory

Back when I was supporting Obama for President I felt strongly it was time for new and younger blood to assume responsibility. I also believed that he was among the best and the brightest. Partially because he was black and had to work harder for all that he had achieved. I admit now my vision was skewed. He really hadn't achieved much of anything beyond his education and without knowing what sort of academic record he had I don't know whether he was truly one of our brightest or one more beneficiary of affirmative action.

That being said, let's look at the other choice. John McCain. I saw in Obama everything McCain was not. Young, energetic, technologically savvy. I don't have a clue where to look next. Maybe comfortable middle age!

I've been watching the descent of Harry Reid toward oblivion. I cannot think of one majority leader of either party that has inspired me less than Mr. Reid. If it weren't for the importance of his work taking precedence, I'd find him totally ignorable. What makes these old war horses hang on so long? Reid is so out of touch that during the campaign he referred to Obama as having no "Negro" dialect. I understand the verbage but how long has it been since it has been used?

And now, in one last valiant effort to be elected one more time he has been reduced to bribing for votes for a piece of bad and maybe even unconstitutional legislation. It will probably be for naught for he is led by all of his opponents of which there are three. Dead last.

What price glory? One has to suppose John McCain chose Sarah Palin to be his running mate for two reasons. One, even though they were supposedly friends, to stick it to Hillary Clinton and two, to bring the essence of youth to a campaign of grumpy old men. When Palin's foreign policy tutors were told by aide Steve Schmidt, "You guys have a lot of work to do. She doesn't know anything," I can no longer give McCain a pass on not knowing what he was getting.

Well, McCain lost, and say what you will, Palin's lack of knowledge was a large part of it.

Reid will probably lose too. Those opposing him are young, energetic and technologically savvy. All the pork in the world cannot negate that fact. One wonders if all the other aging Senators, like Nebraska's Ben Nelson, also floundering in the polls, will find out the same.

In the sense of what's good in the way of legislation for the country, I hope so. On the other hand, I can only "hope" the challengers have a leg up on substance.

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

I have never been one for the limit terms... mainly because I figured that we can vote anyone out when we want to... well, we can try.. but the shortsightedness of my thinking, is other states that we have no control... the likes of California's Madam Speaker and several others who have lasted into their 80's. So I for one will be glad if Nv. does dump Reid.

And what idiot put Negro on the census papers? I haven't heard that word since the 50's.