Sunday, June 20, 2010

To Fathers Everywhere

In honor of Father's Day, I'm going to give the President a break. Fathering seems to be a skill he does well and I'm sure his girls have a special day planned for him.

Fathers. It's one staple in life the whole world shares. No matter your race, nationality nor religion, there are Fathers. They are the lesser heralded of the parenting duo. Most likely because, at least when I grew up, they were around far less than Mom. Today that may not be as true with the numbers of duel income families.

We should be thankful we live in culture where parenting is celebrated. Where family is still important and we strive mightily to keep the unit a strong one.

Think of what it must have been like back during the days of Hitler Youth when children were dressed up in uniforms like the tin soldiers they were to emulate and encouraged to "snitch" on their parents. Most often their fathers.

In some ways things have not changed. Somewhere in the world the family unit is always breaking down over ideology. In Iraq this past week in Iraq a son shot his father to death because he refused to quit his job as a translator for the U.S. This was no mere child. He was a 30 year old man along with his 24 year old brother and a cousin, 19.

History repeats itself. Causes, no matter how ignoble, will always be sold to the vulnerable. I hope fathers who don't live within those cultures realize how fortunate they are and are the better for it. It is tragic when son turns against father for somewhere along the way the family unit has broken down.

I loved my father and though gone these many, many years, I still miss him. His patience, generosity and strength of character. His arms around me when I was sad or scared or sick or just for the heck of it. I was so lucky to have had him. He deserved every ounce of love that came his way.

1 comment:

Margie's Musings said...

My own father died in an industrial accident when I was 9. I did have a loving stepfather though. He always introduced me as his "daughter". I was the only child he ever had and he was very proud of me.