Monday, February 14, 2011

CPAC - The Republicans' Comedy Central


If the just finished CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference) conference in Washington D.C. is any indicator of what's ahead for Republicans in 2012, they've got problems! The winner of the straw poll, indicating favorites, was Ron Paul, the 75 year old doctor/politician from the great state of Texas. He's not going to win the nomination.

Mitt and Newt, along with a slew of other wannabes were  there. Even "the Donald" was there telling everyone what he would do if he decides to run. He won't make the decision until the current TV season and his show The Apprentice wraps. One wouldn't want politics to "trump" profit.

Perhaps the most frightening thing to emerge  was speculation on running mates for Sarah Palin.  She didn't even attend!  One was Representative Paul.  He'd balance her youth and exuberance they speculate.  She'd not have to worry about him waiting in the wings.  He'd be 80 by the time her first term was over.  If she stuck around that long!

Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC) is another one.  He's as mouthy as she is.  I'd see between them having everyone angry all the time.

The other two to be suggested for the potential kiss of political death are Representative Eric Cantor (R VA), the current house majority leader and one of the bright young hopes for the party.  I can't see him wanting to take the number two spot with a candidate that would be weaker than him.

The same for number four, Senator Marco Rubio (R FL).  He's another party comer but a newcomer lacking experience.

I don't see anyone, frankly, wanting to be Sarah Palin's running mate.  There are those, of course, who think not only will she get the nomination, but will win.  I'm not one of them.  Even though she now has a better speech writer and political guru somewhere behind the scenes coaching her,  she's anything but a proven entity! We're dealing with one of those now. I don't want another.

It's said she has more experience going in than Obama had.  His lack has been apparent but he hasn't left a tough job to follow the big bucks nor do I expect it of him.  With Palin, I'd never be sure.

I haven't a clue where my sentiments are going to be as 2012 draws near.  I don't like Obama's degree of liberalism nor his grasp, or lack thereof, of foreign policy.  The problem is I don't see anyone on the Republican side with whome I'm comfortable.  The ideal candidate should have a grasp of our internal problems, of which there are many, but not to the exclusion of the tenor of the world.

I fell for the hope and change mantra hook, line and sinker.  Mostly because I really wanted to  vote for someone at least once in my life.  Well, I did, along with enough others to elect Obama.  Right now it looks like I'll be returning to voting for the lesser of two evils.

If there is a bright side to any of it, it's that, as an American, at least I'll be able to vote.  And I will.  Even if it's for "none of the above".

2 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

Oh, if Hillary would only run. At least she has a brain and lots of foreign affairs experience.

I don't see a soul on the horizon for whom I would I would vote.

Sarah Palen would be another George W. Bush.... no common sense at all. She too would just be a tool for the rich and powerful.

Space Lady said...

All I've got to say is I share your pain! I do respect President Obama, but I think that he wants to view international affairs as being the way he'd like to see them, not as they are.