Monday, December 26, 2011

Getting To Know Them, Getting To Know All About Them - Ugh!

I read one explanation as to why the voters in Iowa seem to still be in a state of flux even though caucus day looms.  The reason is there hasn't been enough retail politics this cycle.  Candidates have much smaller on site staffs than in previous elections and have spent much less time on the ground themselves.  For the most part.  Forget those like Rick Santorum this time and Chris Dodd last time who practically lived there.  We know how Dodd ended up.  Thank goodness.

Do you suppose one reason is the crunch of everyone striving to keep their place in the primary cycle no matter how ridiculous a January 3rd caucus date is.  Much has been made of the weather being a potential factor.  Yep.  I went to college in Iowa.  Winters aren't the most pleasant time in which to venture forth - especially at night if it's snowing and blowing.  Both distinct possibilities.

I read where one woman has decided to support the one candidate she had an opportunity to meet and actually travel around with for a time.  She was a party chair from somewhere in the state and her choice is Romney.  Her experience with him was from the last set of primaries in 2007!

I have a lot of reasons for not liking the emphasis put on the results from Iowa, but there is one thing I think they've gotten right.  Get to know the clowns before you put them into the big top.

Think about it.  People are luke warm about Romney because they do know him fairly well this time around and are uncomfortable with his religion and his purported flip flops though I think too much is being made of both.  Then there' s the likes of Herman Cain.  Likable, funny, but then oops.  A little short of substance when it comes to world wide issues.  I'll be nice and not add in his alleged infidelities since Newt is getting a pass.

Then there's Newt.  The more I see of him the less I like him.  The smile he's been wearing of late has all the warmth of this wife's hair do.  I cannot imagine what a children's book written by those two must be like.  Sorry.  I'm being catty.  Deliberately so.  Sometimes my patience runs thin.

Let's take the arrogance factor instead.  Newt has been whining ever since he failed to get the 10,000 legitimate signatures to qualify for the Virginia primary.  Anyone who can't get 10,000 plus a cushion to allow for illegitimate ones is obviously lacking organization - and appeal.  I mean, come on, Virginia is a pretty good sized state!

His tactic has been to criticize the state for having a failed system.  Hmmm, how about a failed campaign organization?  Then he claims the setback as being similar to the attack on Pearl Harbor.  I'm still trying to get my head around that one.  Being the history professor, I'm sure Newt can explain it to me.

Strange that none of the other candidates qualified either, except Romney and Paul.  I haven't heard a peep out of any of them.  That in itself seems strange, but I'd expect them to take themselves to task for sloppy preparation rather than being the victim of a sneak attack!

If anything positive comes out of this primary season perhaps it will be a crackdown by the national party organizations on setting the dates for primaries.  Another item for my wishful thinking list I'm sure.  In lieu of that, at least Iowa and New Hampshire do get a look at an actual body and can read the body language and see if any of them will look you directly in the eye or answer a tough question without dancing around it.  Most of us don't have that opportunity.

So Iowa and New Hampshire, until things change I've got to put my trust in your ability to sniff out substance, character and ability.  Brother.  Is this but another item for my wish list?






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Season's Greetings!

Thanks for an interesting and informative read. It'll be interesting to see if the Republican version of musical-chairs will begin to settle some following the results in Iowa and NH, or spin out into a long drawn out contest all the way to the covention. Your thoughts?

Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!