Thursday, December 08, 2005

Bah! Humbug!

As pooch and I crunched our way through the tundra this morning I thought that I'm probably the only person who hasn't weighed in on the Christmas/Holiday furor - or "war" as it has been termed.

"War" is Not Very Christian to my way of thinking. Consider the very real war that we started (Not Very Christian) and how we heap obfuscation upon obfuscation (NVC) trying to justify it. Our leaders are at odds among themselves whether or not to torture (NVC).

Christian conservatives encouraging boycotts and amassing lawyers - NVC. And Bill O'Reilly, that paragon of telephone sex harassment (NVC) launching a "Friend or Foe Campaign". Come on!

I would be remiss if I neglected the hoards of shoppers trampling, even hospitalizing, one another for a bargain. (NVC) What kind of gift comes from that? When I give a gift I give it a lot of thought and don't care a wit if it's not on sale. When I receive a gift I am delighted and would never, ever exchange it for something I liked better. What an insult and how hurtful to the person who cared enough about me to bestow it.

Then there are the communities who ban nativity scenes on public property under the guise of "hurting someone's feelings" or separation of church and state. Please.

If we as people start behaving as the spirit of Christmas would have it I might consider this to be something other than nonsense. When reindeer fly! All I know is that I was born and raised a Catholic - one of many Christian religions. The traditions I grew up with and the values they represent remain with me and are a large part of what makes me - me. We put up Christmas decorations, we have a Christmas tree, send Christmas cards and wish friends and neighbors a "Merry Christmas". Following those early learned values is also the way I try to live my life.

But you know what, if current thinking prevails the Easter Bunny better watch out!

No comments: