Thursday, January 22, 2009

Borrowed Time

We brought Bacchus home last night with a pharmacy under one arm and a book size set of instructions under the other. Hub made up a chart this morning so we don't miss a dose. We go back Tuesday for follow up testing and adjustment of his meds as necessary. We're still a bit stunned but coping.

Bacchus seems a bit stunned too though the staff at WSU fell in love with him and spoiled him even more than we have - if that's possible. I knew that would happen. What's not to love about that big old furry face! Plus the sweetest disposition a Saint could have.

If he responds well to the drugs he could have up to a year. He could be gone when I look out the office door to see if he wants to come in. We have no idea. But we'll give it all we've got.

As Hub said to me after the cardiologist told us the time frames, "At least now you're prepared." And so I am. He'll let us know when it's time.

To all of you who responded with good wishes on yesterday's post, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have no idea how much it has meant.

It's time now to get things in order. Get the house picked up and the emotions settled down. We've already scoped out the new routine. I've been given what I had hoped for; some time. It will be well spent.

8 comments:

Word Tosser said...

God gives us dogs so we know what unconditional love is.
They are on loan to us, as a gift from him. So we can learn from them. May the gift keep giving.. give him a hug from all his fans here who read your blog.

Sylvia K said...

I totally agree with Word Tosser, and my thoughts are with you and Hub and Bacchus. And Sam Schnauzer sends lots of wet kisses, too.

Margie's Musings said...

As I feed and spoil Slinky, I thing of your ordeal with Bacchus. What a sweetheart of a dog and you are doing everything possible for him.

Bay Views said...

In many cases, dogs or other family pets become substitute children It is very sad when we lose one. Hang in there.

Linda said...

Your Bacchus sounds like a wonderful friend. I'm glad you've been given some extra days to say your good-byes and love him even more. Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Well, dang. I'm so sorry to read about Bacchus' troubles. We love our animals so that saying good-bye is terribly painful.

I hope you enjoy every last minute you have with him. I know he'll enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of this turn of events. I have always said we should be able to have our pets for our entire lives. But losing them is the price we pay for having their love and loyalty. My best thoughts are with Bacchus as well as many hugs. CU

Hughes ap Williams said...

We just went through this last summer with our Little Guy. It's really hard.