Saturday, March 28, 2009

Reality Check

I've got to tell you, I'm not sure I can continue these weekly updates. It's an emotional roller coaster as much as is Bacchus's condition. The difference is he doesn't know it!

Tuesday we had taken a longer walk then usual. One of his favorite neighbors came out to see him and they greeted each other as would anyone who's been cooped up for the long winter months. I had no sooner shut off the camera when Bacchus keeled over, legs flailing and gasping for breath. I thought that would be it. George and I knelt beside him and he quickly calmed down. I kept him quiet while George called Hub and asked that he bring the van around.

By the time he arrived Bacchus was standing and we were scratching ribs and ears. We stood chatting for a few minutes after Hub arrived then I put Bacchus in the van. He peered out the window and his expression said, "Why am I in here? I want to be out with you guys!" That fast he seemed back to normal. What we don't know for sure is how much it took out of him.

I talked with our vet and his cardiologist and they explained what had likely happened. It drove home the point that he has a very weak heart. Not only does he have to deal with the enlargement, the arrhythmia rears it's head and gives the system fits.

He came out of this episode and seems pretty much himself. The fluctuations in his eating and willingness to take pills continue but he's happy and bouncing around like he has good sense.

A friend of mine suggested writing these weekly updates is cathartic. It is if those of you I'm doing it for realize it isn't always going to be a cheery "he's holding his own". The truth of the matter is we don't know. He gained back five of the pounds he lost. That's good. He had this episode. That's bad. It's day to day. It's rough.

So I'll end on that note. Another week. The neighbor's grand kids are playing next door. He's having a good time barking at them. It's what he does. Que sera sera.

3 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I know it's hard living from day to day and not knowing what will happen at any given moment. I do hurt for you because I know what it's like. Send much love to all of you.

Linda said...

Bacchus looks good. Seeing him in You Tube makes him more real. I'd probably just sit and hold him and cry. No doubt he would not like that.

Karen said...

Everyday he has your love and you have his so good or bad it's a light filled warm path to the next step. I lost two beautiful goldens to spleen cancer and I didn't think my heart could weigh that much but 5 years later a little papillon Bandit curls against my back as I sleep and makes me laugh again every day. God bless you.