Sunday, January 24, 2010

Plural Progress

I don't get sick often, but whatever I have now has really knocked the pegs out from under me. Hub knew I was in trouble when he came home from running errands last Tuesday to find me sound asleep on the couch instead of on my computer. It went downhill from there to two solid days in bed. I never knew I could sleep so soundly for so long.

It would seem to be not quite the flu, not quite a bad cold and not quite whooping cough which is making the rounds locally, but rather a sampler. I'm upright today and even have clothes on. If it weren't for football I'd probably head back to bed, though I am slept out. Also wiped out. So. We'll see how it goes.

One thing, I've listened to a lot of news. When I feel too sick to make my way to the computer to comment on the events of the week just past, trust me, I'm sick.

Of many stand out subjects, one thing struck me as extremely important. I think Americans, as a whole, are coming of age. No longer are we a complacent bunch content to let those in Washington have their way with us. We elected Obama because we were tired of it. We've also sent him a message. Don't fall into the same pattern of patronizing and/or bullying us or we'll turn you and yours out too.

I listen with interest while the few hard core ideologues stick to the same mode of bullying even as their world is collapsing around them. I guess there are those who will never get it. Not to worry. The people do.

It's one reason not to be overly concerned about the Supreme Court's decision on campaign finance allowing corporations to have a say. We do. Unions do. Special interests do. Why shouldn't corporations?

I'd be a lot more concerned if the people weren't showing that we are now capable of seeing through the spin. This is a huge step forward when it comes to taking the country back from those who would force upon us their own ways.

The time since 9/11 is often referred to as the new normal. I hope that's what we are now seeing, this coming of age of the citizenry. That old style politics becomes the anomaly.

I hope too, as I head back to the couch, that whatever it is I have soon becomes the anomaly, not the new norm!

2 comments:

Betty said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Get better soon.

Margie's Musings said...

I couldn't agree more.

I hope you are on the mend, Mari. I had wondered where you went. I thought you might be on a rip somewhere. I didn't think about you being sick.