Saturday, January 01, 2011

Big Sis Is Taking Her Show On The Road!

The urge to post has been overwhelming. Especially since there is so much going on that's receiving little play. But then, it is a holiday and the last for awhile.

I just have to weigh in on Janet Napolitano once again. She has always struck me as being a very frightening person. It's because of the way she wears her power. It's with an iron fist paired with an exterior so blank I often wonder if what's inside is merely programmed. And not too well.

Oh, that's harsh. I'm sure she's a very nice lady. And this post has me chuckling over the ironies of our world. Here, in America, we have some of the most invasive security measures in existence. The fight over that is not yet over.

But the irony of Napolitano and her department advising the Afghans on how to better protect their borders is what's overwhelming me! Two things in particular. The border between Pakistan and Afghanistan is so porous the Taliban and al Qaeda come and go at will. They smuggle weapons and drugs. Hmmm. That she is familiar with a similar situation cannot be denied. Were I the Afghans, I'd suggest she tend to her own house first. Besides, why shouldn't we be first? We are her country!

The second thing that has me chuckling is the supposition she  might recommend security measures like we have. You know. Full body scanners! With the Muslim views on modesty I see that as a big no. With the scanners inability to pick up explosives if properly placed anyway, why bother?

Gee. Why can't the same arguments work for us?

One other little stickler in the source material. The article says the idea of including more of our government agencies in the war and nation building effort in Afghanistan was the brain child of the late Richard Holbrooke.  Nation building effort?  Where did that come from?  But of course it is.  We're just not supposed to say it.

The serious side of this is I'm sorry Holbrooke died. I'm wondering if this isn't an idea that should have died with him.

1 comment:

Margie's Musings said...

Absolutely! We have no business nation building and furthermore, we can't afford to do it.