Monday, July 23, 2007

Do The Spouses Matter?

Spouses seem to be in the forefront these days - especially political spouses. I've been wondering how much importance we should give them in choosing our Presidential candidates.

It occurred to me that we know far too much about some and far too little about others. Bill and Hillary are, of course, the most prominent. All else being equal, I look at that relationship and wonder. Yes, Bill is still extremely popular regardless of his past indiscretions. He is charismatic and smart. He is her most trusted advisor. He also admits he squandered his Presidency. That is what makes me wonder. Have they learned or will it be the Clinton version of business as usual?

John and Elizabeth Edwards would be next. Were she not suffering from cancer she would be even more formidable than she is already. But she is. As unfair as it may seem, the image of Tammy Faye Messner in the final days of her life, keeps coming to mind. Will that as a possible end affect Edward's ability to govern?

Some is known about Cindy McCain, mostly from John's prior candidacy. Judith Nathan brings to Giullani a history of her own. I find it interesting that with three marriages apiece, they still claim to be Catholic. It has been a long time since I practiced the religion I was born into - perhaps things have changed more than I realize.

Michelle Obama is getting out and about. Another very able woman unto herself and certainly an asset to Barak. Most of the others are a blank page.

Looking at recent Presidential spouses, they have all been formidable partners to their men. Even Hillary who disavowed Tammy Wynette's Stand By Your Man many years ago did just that when the chips were down. Yes, it quite probably had much do do with her own ambitions; never-the-less she did.

Some were more passive than others but all were the strength behind the scenes. So now I want to know who we may be looking toward as the spouse behind The President.

I think I'll do a bit of browsing and see what's out there...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've also read about Thompson's trophy wife and then there's Newt's story that he served divorce papers to his cancer stricken wife in the hospital. I don't know whether it's going to make a real difference in the next election. I think all the front runners have some bagage.

I would like to see someone like Ron Paul elected. Both parties dislike him. He follows the constitution to the letter and believes in keeping our nose out of other nations business.

I think it would be great to have a leader not beholden to big business and the same elite Washington insiders that you are so much alike that you really can't tell one party from the other.

Word Tosser said...

I have heard that Bill Richardson's wife is a hand full too... not in a postive way.
We have to think about the spouses, as they have had a great impression on the Presidents in the past. Kennedy, Reagan, Carter, Bush Sr. all of their wives have had a great input with their men. There was a remark years ago, about the person who shares the pillows with the Presidents.. I can't recall it. But be it known by the public or not... there is influence there.