Thursday, June 21, 2007

That Sinking Feeling

I'm always happy to see a letter in my e-mail from my Army buddy. Just last week I posted about how his daughter had made him so proud and what a great tribute it was to her Dad for Father's Day.

What I didn't write about was the tough time he's been having since coming home. You've heard the stories - no income, no benefits - life disrupted even more than it had been. Worry.

So what does one do? Go back. He'll be attached to a Military Police unit on the west side of Baghdad. He tells me it's the dangerous side. He's scared. He tells me he's more frightened then when he was there before and the morter rounds were incoming.

I'm scared too - for him and his family. We've never met and probably never will but I've become attached to this man as if he was a part of my own family.

Don't tell me I can't be against this war and say I support the troops. I do support the troops. With all my heart. In my case it just happens to be one frightened soldier at a time.

No comments: