Wednesday, October 17, 2007

DeGeneres, DeRossi and D' Dog

This is my new "What could they possibly be thinking?" picture. Bacchus has shot it at me many, many times. I'm really with him on this one.

It would seem Ellen DeGeneres and Portia De Rossi adopted a pooch from a rescue organization called Mutts and Moms that's run out of a pet shop in Pasadena. They have rules. Boy, do they have rules. Families with children under the age of 14 are not allowed to adopt small dogs. And, if the dog doesn't work out and you have a family to give it to, Mutts and Moms must approve it.

Apparently the fine print went unread by both DeGeneres and De Rossi. After spending substantial money on neutering and training so the dog and their cats would be compatible, it didn't work out. So Ms. DeGeneneres gave the pooch to the daughters, ages 11 and 12, of her hairdresser.

Ms. DeGeneres pleaded her case to no avail.

How dare she! According to an attorney speaking for Marina Batkis, one of the owners, "She is not going to give them the dog. She doesn't think this is the type of family that should have the dog. She is adamant that she is not going to be bullied around by the Ellen DeGenereses of the world..."

Oh, my, the righteous indignation. And the fifteen minutes of fame they're getting.

What is it with these animal welfare types? I might have been willing to consider their points until I got to the attack. I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are too many animal "welfare" agencies that are in it more for self puffery than for the genuine welfare of the animals in their care. I think perhaps this might be just such a case.

Those purrs and slobbery kisses aren't necessarily signs of approval or accolades. It's what cats and dogs do. Dictating an age of responsibility doesn't strike me as responsible; attacking people who care enough to adopt a pet doesn't strike me as responsible and tearing a pet away from two children without knowing them or their family doesn't strike me as responsible.

Review your criteria, allow for some flexibility and allow that people sometimes don't read the fine print. That doesn't mean their intentions are bad. And get over yourselves.

2 comments:

Word Tosser said...

I was surprised at the age limit... so no one under 14 deserves a small dog.... hummmmm.
what a shame.. so many kids have had dogs since they were able to walk. but I guess that isn't good enough for these people. I think they are over bearing... and to not back up their policy with a verbal warning BEFORE the dog left them.. is their fault...

Anonymous said...

what were the grounds of not allowing ellen and portia to have the dog's custody? If they can provide a good Wooden Dog House and the warm love that the dog needs.. then they are fit for having the dog