Friday, October 05, 2007

Every Dog Has His Day

Bacchus has graciously agreed to step out of the spotlight so that I may salute Newfs and a woman who loves them. Back in 1975 Diana Sellers attended a Working Breeds Show and fell in love with Newfs. She hasn't looked back.

A few months ago I received an e-mail from Diana, from the UK, telling me she was doing a book for Newf lovers commemorating Seaman, the $20 pooch Meriwether Lewis purchased to accompany the Corp of Discovery on their trek. It took two years and a tremendous amount of research and for those of us gifted with a copy it is a treasure.

Friends in the states helping with her research came across a blog post by Kathleen Dahl, a professor at Eastern Oregon, about my Lewis and Clark chess set. The reason for the request was because the pawns on the Corp of Discovery side of the set were eight little Newfies. I was delighted and of course said yes.

The finished product arrived last Saturday and it is wonderful. It is filled with illustrations of everything from stamps to post cards to monuments and sculptures to quilts - and yes, chess sets. All dedicated to Seaman.

This story, too, is testimony to the upside of blogging. It continues to intrigue and delight me. Having the opportunity to communicate with people like Diana makes every minute on the keyboard worthwhile.

Another project she'd like to tackle is the story of the William Brown trek from Newfoundland to California between 1906 and 1910. The "outfit" was pulled by a team of Newfies. If anyone can lend a hand I'd be delighted to put you in touch.

I understand the love of a breed. Newfies are right near the top for me too. How could you not fall in love with those big shaggy guys. But I must be true to my own; in this house Saints rule!

Okay, Bacchus, you can come out now. Good boy.

No comments: