Tuesday, December 04, 2007

It's Time To Change The Law

I can think of no grief greater than that when parents lose a child. Such is the case for Ron and Tina Meier who's daughter hanged herself following a cruel hoax on the web. Thirteen years old.

Thirteen. Unsure of herself, desperate for friends. Maybe, especially, a boy friend. I can relate to those emotions. I was tall for my age, certainly not the most popular girl in the class and without boy friends for longer than I'd like to admit. I was never teased or harassed to the point of depression, what's more the contemplation of suicide. I did have friends and very attentive and supportive parents.

So did young Megan from what I've read. But how does one get into the head of a thirteen year old and convince her she's good and attractive and worthy and that kid's can be cruel. Especially when it's a classmate's parent that perpetrates the harassment? I can't even find the words to ask the question what's more guess at an answer! What kind of person, adult, would create an imaginary boy friend, woo an adolescent then start bullying her.

The disgusting part of the whole sad story is that no crime has been committed. I looked up cyber harassment at Haltabuse.org and if I read it correctly the prosecutor is correct.

As horrible as this story is, it doesn't stop here. Cyber harassment, stalking, bullying or however you want to couch it does exist. And adults are participating. I've seen it locally. I choose to ignore it and tell those who've talked with me about being victim of it to just stay away from the source. Idaho has no law in place regarding the issue at this point in time.

I'm not big on Internet regulation. On the good side its a great big wonderful world out there. On the bad, people can be threatened, feel frightened and suddenly it becomes a great big vast dark hole filled with who knows what. If you don't believe me go to any of the reader generators for blogs and browse what's out there. A lot is very frightening. Consider why so many of us blog anonymously or nearly anonymously.

If we, as adults, have these feelings, just imagine what it must have been like for young Megan.

Get the laws in place before another child feels the excruciating hurt of humiliation and another adult can get away with it!

2 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Things, they are a changing...... have a butchers at this over here in jolly old England...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20071205/tuk-teenager-handed-cyber-asbo-dba1618_1.html

x

Word Tosser said...

I don't know why, but people tend to believe everything they read on the internet. The newer the person to internet the more they believe what they read. 55% of the personal and some of the business sites are lies. Tricks to trick you out of money and etc. People's opinion that are considered gospel truth. And when someone takes their lives... it is a tragic.
I hope the parents sue the woman. They do have the right. This woman should not be walking free without care. There has to be a punishment. Jail? $$? I don't know but something.