Tuesday, January 08, 2008

In Defense Of Hillary - Sort Of...

On the negative side, when Hillary caught herself getting emotional yesterday, I could sense her searching the recesses of her mind for the appropriate put downs of her competitors to explain her passion. It was almost too pat. Almost.

On the other hand, it was probably the most real glimpse into the woman we're ever likely to see. Will it hurt or help her? I don't know.

Bear in mind that she was chatting with a group of women. Her comfort zone and her base. I believe only one man was present. I haven't heard a reporter ask his reaction. However, for all the men who came out of the wood work castigating her "weakness", let me explain to you something about women. We cry. Some more than others, but we all cry. I cry during the national anthem, I cry at weddings and funerals. I cry when I'm ecstatically happy and I cry when I'm mad as blazes. And yes, I cry when I hurt and when I'm so exhausted I can barely move. Such is the nature of woman. If you take that away from us we will never elect a woman to the Presidency. It is not a sign of weakness.

For decades we women have been trying to educate men to be more "sensitive". Look at how Bill Clinton mastered the quivering lip and the "Ah feel your pain" routine. At a generational level it would seem we have succeeded.

Mitt Romney teared up a couple of times. Where are the cries for disqualification and lack of fitness there?

In reality, we should all cry. It is a cleansing process and good for the soul. Hub is not of the generation that cries easily, and forgetting his Irish heritage, he has been known to let a tear roll himself. Usually when we've lost one of our beloved dogs. I've never thought any the less of him for it. Nor do I think any the less of Mitt Romney, nor Hillary Clinton.

For as robotic as politicians seem to be these days, let's not strip them of the one thing with which we can identify. The ability to feel, passionately, and to express it as is natural to each of them. If it's a tear, so be it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said it so well. Thanks

Mari Meehan said...

frum helen, thanks for weighing in - and stopping by!