Sunday, November 09, 2008

The Right To Pursue Happiness Unless You're Gay

Well, we've overcome one hurdle in this country. The ability to consider a person's ability and substance over skin tone. Will the next one be Gay rights? Don't you think it's time?

The Gays in California are coming out in force to protest the banning of gay marriage. It is my feeling they have every reason to do so.

Our Declaration of Independence says, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Unless you are Gay and want to get married. Or at the very least have the same rights as married couples.

The major argument put forth by all who are not Gay seems to be the definition of marriage. Our religions, I'm told, tell us it is an institution to be shared by one man and one woman. I can buy that. I can also buy the opposing point of view.

As with all serious issues, there are no clear cut answers. Just like the argument of when life actually begins, so rages the controversy of whether one is born Gay. Those arguments will continue as long as man resides on earth for there is no defining criteria other than the opinion of one set of "experts" pitted against another.

I should like to think the time has come to accept the fact that we are not all the same. Depending on the division of those pesky little genes we have different proclivities. Some of us are more attracted to our own sex. Even to the point of falling in love. Have you ever tried to not fall in love? Should how people who fall in love and want to spend their lives together be legislated by those who oppose their lifestyle?

It can't be easy being Gay. I read the column in the Spokesman written by a Lesbian. She has a partner, a couple of kids and they've just bought a home. The owner of the house they bought warned the neighbors about "them". What a great start in a new neighborhood!

Gays are becoming more and more forthright about their lifestyle. They are pioneers in a cause not unlike Martin Luther King's quest for equality. Is it not time that be granted?

As with any cause, there are those within the ranks that do more harm then good. Like the "gangsta" image put forth by many Blacks. It's an "in your face" posture meant to intimidate and it does. The same goes for the "I'm here and I'm queer" in your face Gays. They are their own worst enemy. There's a limit to the effectivness of the squeaky wheel!

But for all the others still closeted, or those we live and work beside who have inched out, we owe them more then they're getting. If they'd be willing to compromise language for rights I really believe most people would be satisfied. What's the matter with having a civil union? Many heterosexual couples have civil unions if you will. They wed in the eyes of the law but forego a religious ceremony.

Had Hub had his way, that's what we would have had. I just don't think tinkering with constitutional amendments in the fever of fear and anger is the way to solve the problem. It won't make it go away. It will just stoke the fever of hatred. Haven't we had enough?

At the very least they deserve consistency. How, in good conscience, can a state and the people within okay Gay unions, marriages if you must, then take them away? They're not living in sin, they're living in limbo. It's unconscionable.

5 comments:

cconz said...

My best friend is gay and has been with the same man for about 20 years. They don't really care about the marriage part. But the legal part. I've been with bill for 25 years and could care less about getting married. I also tell friends if your my friend you won't ask me to be in your wedding.
A friend of mine (Young person) said it's only a matter of time. When the new younger generation that growing up now. More tolerent and "being gay is old news". Lets hope so.Lets also hope it doesn't take that long.

Sylvia K said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I have never understood prejudice of any kind because I've always seen us as basically the same, we walk upright on two legs, pull our pants on the same way -- just different style pants and no one has the right to dictate how a person chooses to live his/her life. Those are the choices we all have the right to make, to choose without society dictating what is "right" or "wrong" -- I'm not talking extremes of criminal behavior here. I moved away from conventional religion many years ago, I certainly don't judge churchgoing people any more than I do those who find their spiritualality in other forms, but the right of choice as an individual is supposedly one of the mainstays of our constitution. Ah, but then what do I know, I'm just a cranky old 75 year old broad that's been thumbing her nose at the world for most of her life.

TropiGal said...

I've lived with several men as a mutual preference rather than get married. As long as one has legal rights, such as joint ownership with right of survivorship, documents that allow medical decisions to the partners, health insurance and so forth, why bother with marriage? Who cares about legitimization of my personal choice by some outdated religious organization or the fusty state? Hating gays may be ready for the historical dustbin, but perhaps marriage should be consigned there too.

Linda said...

I view the gay rights as a civil rights issue.

Marriage should be preserved for those who want it.

My stand is that I will fight for the civil rights of gay and lesbian persons to be wed at the state level, judge, justice of the peace etc.

I will not help when they take on the church and its prejudices. If they want to go there they're on their own as far as I'm concerned.

I long for the day they can be legally wed but I'm not going to mess with the religious part of it. I view the religious part as more of a blessing. I knew a couple (heterosexual)who believed strongly in separation of church and state. In the afternoon they went to the courthouse where a judge married them. In the evening family and friends gathered at the church for a service of blessing.

Word Tosser said...

so well said.... couples should be able to prtoect their union.
What is not understood, is feared, thus hated.... sad very sad...
Have seen how families who were not supportive, have come in and swoop up the material things that the couple has gathered together, after their love one has died... so not fair and laws should protect.