Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Tough Love

It was WSU day again for Bacchus. We're beginning our seventh month of controlling his congestive heart failure.

We now have a new cardiology resident, a new cardiology intern and new students passing through on two week rotations. Each has to do their thing with our old boy. It's exhausting for all of us.

No matter, it's a teaching hospital and it's how they learn. I have no argument with their thoroughness. Unfortunately it showed a spate of new or worsening issues. Meds have been adjusted and we'll be monitoring him more closely for a time to see if these changes do or do not work. Our efforts will be no less than before but reality is looking us straight in the eye. Sooner now trumps later. It's tough.

They want to see him again in 5 weeks. That's hopeful. Maybe. Meanwhile things will be handled locally. And the beat goes on. I can only hope it's his heart beat.

3 comments:

Joan A said...

I am a cat person. I have five of my four footed buddies buried at my place in the woods. I still grieve for each one of them even though some have been gone for many years. And I still have five of my little pocket tigers so I will be grieving again. I wouldn't miss out on the years of of loving and being loved by them. The price is high but well worth it. You have my heartfelt sympathy while you go through this painful time.

Word Tosser said...

One day at a time, dear Lord, one day at a time...

Margie's Musings said...

I feel the same way about Scott's Slinky. Poor old dog. He's 12 going on 13 and really showing his age. But I am concerned for your Bacchus. I keep him in my prayers and thoughts.