Friday, June 04, 2021

Now It's Written - What Next?


 I had a manuscript.  I had thrown in a few illustrations just to break it up a bit.  The illustration at the left was the first one I drew. I had already fallen in love with that puppy!

People I had asked to read the manuscript - those who would be honest, but kind, loved the illustrations and said I should do them myself. More on this as we go along.

I had two options to move forward.  One was to begin researching and submitting to appropriate publishing houses, or self-publish.

Of course ego suggested going for a publishing house until a friend told me that I'd probably have to wait a couple of years before they'd get around to reading it and there was no guarantee it would be accepted. At my age I didn't feel that was viable choice.

One of my readers was with a small local house begun by a group of writers who had problems getting their own books published.  They were interested, but then they weren't, then they were again.  As with many small businesses they were having their own share of financial problems so I decided that too was not a viable choice.

The next step was finding out the pros and cons of self-publishing and how did one go about it. One thing I did know was that I was going to need all the help I could get.

Next - who helps and what exactly do they do?


No comments: