Saturday, February 02, 2008

It Isn't Dogs That Are Dumb...

Once again I get to point out the value of reading both local newspapers. The Press headline reads Idaho senate votes 31-4 in favor of dogfighting measure. The Spokesman reads Idaho Senate OKs dogfighting bill. This is long awaited legislation that will make dogfighting a felony with good healthy penalties. Five years in prison and $50,000 in fines.

The Press article goes on to state that some backers want to be able to target illegal gang and drug activity that often accompanies the dogfighting.

"Wow," I thought. They finally get it. Then I went on to read greater detail in the Spokesman. It seems Senator Jeff Siddoway, R-Terreton, feels the legislation goes too far by putting it into the ranks of a felony. He is quoted as saying, "It's not just Michael Vick and the big shots - it's what if your teenage son and my teenage son decide to have a dogfight back in the back alley?"

I was dumbfounded. He doesn't get it at all! Nor does Senate GOP Caucus Chairman Brad Little, R-Emmett, who went on to defend the bill by saying, "This isn't two kids out in the back alley that go 'Sic 'em, Rover'..."

What kind of fathers are these? What kind of boys are they raising?? Don't they realize that kids pitting their pets against one another is how it starts? I'm glad the Idaho Senate has been embarrassed into undertaking this legislation for the sake of the dogs. I'm angry that these elected officials are doing this for nothing more than political expediency. I'm embarrassed that their spoken words reveal such a lack of comprehension about what they're doing.

Once again I find myself wondering what I'm doing in what too often resembles Appalachia west.

No comments: