Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A Real Pain In The Butt!

I had my follow up on the second MRI today. The doctor came into the room and handed me a sheet of paper. "That's what's wrong with you!"

I skimmed the gobbledy gook and gave him a blank stare. "I have to tell you," he said, "I have never, never seen a diagnosis like this! And I've seen a lot! There is no lipoma, no tumor. To put it bluntly the muscles in your butt are shredded."

"Shredded?"

"Yep. Shredded. Do you have any idea what you did?"

A few sceanarios went through my head but nothing that would cause that kind of damage. We discussed them and we both shrugged.

"There is really nothing I can do," he said. "I've never seen anything like it."

Wow. So what do I do about the pain? We talked some more. We can have a different PT have a look at the diagnosis to see if there might be some new ideas but it seems doubtful. Over three years I've tried everything in the book - though it was for my back, not this. I was given a prescription for a non-narcotic pain killer I'm told I can take for the rest of my life. We'll see how that goes.

On the bright side there is no crippling arthritis and no tumor.

I'm thinking the aggressive approach might not have been the best one. Maybe it's time to do what we old folk are expected to do after awhile. Just sit on our butts and give it a rest!

No comments: