Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chris Christie Interests Me

He's one of the new breed of politician we've all been waiting for. One not afraid of taking on the old school pols or the unions. Both need doing. How successful he'll be remains to be seen, but I'm seeing more newly elected governors following his lead. We all ought to be watching them evolve.

I don't know much about him yet. The biggest negative is his switch from pro-choice to pro-life.  Not the stand particularly, but whether or not it's purely for political expedience from a man who seems not to care.

He's being touted as a Presidential candidate for 2012. He has said no again and again. We've heard it all before from so many we tend to question the sincerity. After all, he is a politician.

What interests me about his denial is how he said it,
There are people who will run just because they see the opportunity. And I'm not stupid. I see the opportunity. That's not a reason to run for President.

You have to believe in your heart and your soul that you're ready to be President. And I don't believe that about myself right now."
Thinking of all the potential candidates readying themselves, including our current President, I wonder if any of them ever looked at running quite that way. Here is a first term governor, a mover, both liked and disliked depending on what is basically your level of greed. He is fighting for the financial survival of his state. He is tenacious and tough. Just what we need in the Presidency. Yet he sees himself as not ready. How refreshingly honest.

My tendency these days is to be suspect yet I don't want to be. I want to believe in that honesty and the strength behind it. Yes, Chris Christie interests me. I'm going to keep an eye on him.








No comments: