Monday, August 29, 2011

Let The Politicians Talk!

I knew it was only a matter of time before one of the Christian Conservative types would suggest that the recent upheaval of Mother Nature on the East Coast would be deemed a warning from the almighty.  I just wasn't sure which one nor what the warning would be.

Claiming it was said in jest, The Financial Times reported Michele Bachmann had this to say.
 "I don't know how much God has to do to get to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said 'are you going to start listening to me here? Listen to the American people... They know the government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in spending'."
Had any other politician said this, with the exception of Rick Perry, I would agree it was said in jest, but with Bachmann I'm not so sure.  And that's the problem.  Any time one of the candidates suggests that God has a hand in anything political I'm uncomfortable.  It makes me question what guides them politically.  God or the good sense I'd like to think He gave them.  If indeed he did.  They don't seem to be using it.

Perry, of course took his lumps when he suggested if the Bernanke printed more money before the 2012 election it would be nearly treasonous.  Again, a poor choice of words though I don't think it was meant in the way it was taken and I think the press over reacted.

It's a sad state of affairs these days, that a politician has to watch every word and phrase they utter less the press pounce upon it.  Look at Maxine Waters and her statement that the Tea Party could go to hell.  She's merely articulating, in the exact words, what many think.

Truthfully, I think we should let them speak freely.  It gives us better insight as to who they are.  Ms. Bachmann is obviously joined at the hip with her religion. I'm not sure what Mr. Perry is yet but I don't think the Bernanke comment should be a game breaker.

Mr. Bush used to shoot from the lip with a degree of regularity and Obama often reacts before thinking things through.  If the media continually attacks a turn of a phrase they will end up saying very little.  We certainly don't want that.  Consider what propelled Obama into the White House.  His ability to say very little.  I say let them talk!



1 comment:

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, and the two leading Republicans are showing their lack of intelligence. That's scarey to me. What if they get elected. We can count on them invoking God constantly as though they have a straight line through.

What a mess!