Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I Give Up!

I give up. I really do.  The folly of Representative Todd Akin's views on rape and abortion is one reason.  He made the mistake of opening his mouth.  But was that the end of it? No.  Representative Steve King, in defending Akin,  extended the issue to include statutory rape and incest.  In his vast well of knowledge he said he didn't know anyone who had become pregnant from statutory rape or incest but he'd be open to learning more.  I  don't know anyone either but I have no doubt what-so-ever that it happens!

How can these people legislate on issues where they have such scant knowledge?  Aren't these the very people who are so sure exactly when life begins? How can they be so precise on one while being so ignorant of the other.

I understand this is where their stand on abortion comes from.  If life begins the moment sperm meets egg and killing said life is criminal than abortion for any reason would be criminal.  But it's not criminal.  It's still legal in all 50 states.

There's one big problem with this thinking.  Not everyone agrees.  While many hold this belief, it is not a scientific fact.  It is opinion.  Conception versus birth.

I do believe some things should not be legislated and this is one of them.  I've ranted about government intrusion in my life for a very long time.  I will also rant about religious intrusion in my life.  I may choose to surround myself by like minded people on social issues.  There is some comfort in that, confirmation that others believe as I do.  I will not try to force those who do not agree to do so. Nor condemn other opinions and beliefs as being wrong or criminal.  There are too many variables and complexities.

I find it disturbingly ironic that those who bemoan the government taking over more and more of our freedoms don't recognize the parallels among themselves when they try to do the same with their social/religious beliefs.

For me it boils down to very simple truths.  If I choose not to pass on the gene pool of a rapist it should be my right.  If I don't care to breast feed my baby it should be my right.  Should I want to drink a large sugar laden soda it should be my right.

It should not be the right of some ill informed politician to be making those decisions for me.

I cannot see in either party a platform I can come close to supporting.  Don't tell me the Republican platform doesn't reflect Romney's views, just the party's.  What's the point of having it if it isn't going to be adhered to by those elected?

In the same vein,  what's the point of having laws if the President is able to bypass them by executive order without the country having recourse?

I don't know what to think any more.  Nothing seems to make any sense.  Listening to the falsehoods and nastiness and ignorance is exhausting. There was a time I thought we could do better and I was heartened.  But I no longer do.  How many more out there are like me?  Ready to turn away in disappointment and disgust? Ready to just give up?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I'd give to give a dose of your good sense to the folks in Washington! Sometimes the current state of politics feels like a nightmare or an episode of the Twilight Zone. Please excuse the sports analogy, Mari, but it's in line with your sensible remarks about how on earth could a candidate secure the nomination from a party that he/she doesn't share essentially the same values, and how existing laws are often circumvented by Executive Order, isn't all of this akin to an athlete managing the outcome of a sport eventing rather than his/her coach?!

Word Tosser said...

You are now where I came to this past Spring, when I said I wasn't going to do politic anymore. Don't want the emails, don't want the arguements and etc...
At 72, I want a more positive lifestyle. I am tired of the negative, lies, hateful remarks, of politics this time around. maybe it was there before, and I was blind to it.
But tell you, Mari, since I have not read everything political, talk politics, and etc... even walking away shaking my head.. I am personally a lot happier. I still will vote, just tired of the (pardon me) bs.

Tommy said...

Hi Mari. I'm Tommy and I've been following along on your blog for a while now. Wasn't sure that I wanted to join in, but this post kind of hit a cord for me.

As a result of reading it, I have posted a simular thing (sort of) on my blog. I wanted to give you a link directly to that post, but I can't seem to figure out how to put the "Links to this post" at the bottom. Could you please let me know how to accomplish this on Blogger?

So to read my entry of "I Give Up!" you can see it here http://tommys-mind.blogspot.com/

Maybe I'll join your discussions once in a while. I'm not sure our political views exactly match up, but as you have recently noted: They're all dummies!!!
:-)

Ray said...

Hi, Mari -

Tommy and I often exchange comments or mail, even though I'm in Canada and he's in the U.S.A. like yourself.
I've encouraged him to send those spin-doctors his feedback.

I sometimes think your politicians are too confrontational, but ours aren't much better. The difference seems to be that ours are shooting blanks while yours use live ammo.

Or, as old Nikita Khrushchev once said, "Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges where there are no rivers."

And Will Rogers said, "Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice Doggie" until you can find a rock."

And the comic Gallagher said, "You couldn't get the Ten Commandments through Congress if Moses was buying the drinks."

My blog = http://raysbloggingagain.blogspot.ca